Two parish boundary posts: Streatham and Wandsworth. Three historical parishes meet at this point, the third being Battersea.
An unusual and fine pair of semi-detached houses consisting of three adjoining gable fronts, built on plots 342 to 344 purchased by Mr W.J. Ellis from the British Land Co. Ltd. for £192 in 1886. Mr Ellis lived in ‘Mona’ until 1893 and a private collection of documents detail later owners and occupiers including individuals significant to Tooting’s history. A parish boundary marker remains in the grounds of Mona – the land originally being on the boundary between Surrey parishes of Tooting Graveney and Mitcham. ‘The Gables’ is double fronted; a square bay and splay bay either side of the recessed porch with original painted coloured glass. This substantial house is barely altered with it’s lay out retained and enjoying attractive front gardens. In a panel on the central gable and to the infilled gullies either side are unusual and attractive floral and foliage inspired pargeting.
Built in 1776 for a congregation established in 1688, two storey pedimented classical front’ (Pevsner) on the grounds of a previous wooden church where Dissenters met in secret to escape persecution. Local folklore suggests Daniel Defoe was amongst them and the chapel named after him continued as a place of worship for Non-Conformists until 1902 when it was sold to the Primitive Methodists. In 1911 it was sold for commercial use. Before that time, c1910 Alderman William Melluhish, undertaker and stonemason oversaw the removal of burials within the chapel building and re-interment of remains to a Streatham cemetery. In 2014 Tooting History Group members united with the congregation of the United Reform Church,Tooting to resist alteration to the front elevation and development at the rear of the building. Plans to remodel the façade were withdrawn and in 2015, during works to extend the retail premises, human remains were unearthed in the cemetery grounds and re-interred on the site at two ceremonies conducted by Reverend Helen Matthews of the URC.