Thanks to Peter Ramell from Friends Of Tooting Common for providing the quiz last Monday. Here are the answers.
Q1. When was the cafe built? (1. 1918 2. 1878 3. 1898)
Answer is 3 – 1898
Q2. How many Tooting Commons are there? (1. One 2. Two 3. Three)
Answer is 2 – Two [They are Tooting Bec Common and Tooting Graveney Common]
Q3. There is a pond on Tooting Common where Elmbourne Road meets Tooting Bec Rd. What is it known as? (1. The Ecology Pond. 2. The Old Yachting Pond. 3. Both)
Answer is 3 – Both
Q4. What was the annual rent paid to run the cafe for the first three years after its opening?
(1. £25 2. £15 3. £125)
Answer is 1 – £25
Q5. The Friends of Tooting Common do bat walks on the Common in summer and have heard lots of bats hunting insects. Which bats have we heard? Circle all those you think are right
(1. Pipistrelle. 2. Daubenton. 3. Soprano pipistrelle)
Answer is all three
Q6. When the cafe opened, how much (in “old ” money) would a tea, lemonade and two hot chocolates (all together) have cost? (1. 2 old pennies (d) 2. 8 old pennies (d) 3. 4 old pennies)
Answer is 3 – 4 old pennies (d)
Q7. Dr Johnson’s Avenue is named after Dr Johnson, who crossed the Common to visit friends. How did he travel? (1. Horse & cart. 2. Riding on a bike 3. Riding on a horse)
Answer is 3 – riding on a horse
Q8. There is a fossil tree on the Common, near the “main” pond. Who put it there?
(1. The Victorians 2. The Romans 3. The Edwardians)
Answer is 1 – The Victorians
Q9. What long distance path runs across the Common, crossing Bedford Hill at the path just north of the cafe, and running towards the Lido car park?
(1. London Loop 2. North Downs Way 3. Capital Ring)
Answer is 3 – Capital Ring
Q10. What is the architectural structure of the cafe usually known as?
(1. Half-boarded 2. Half-timbered 3. Square-framed)
Answer is 2 – Half-timbered