- When did Tooting Broadway underground station open?
13 September 1926
- How many passengers went through Tooting Broadway station in 2016 (nearest 100,000)?
15,920,000 48th busiest station on the underground.
- Where was the original workhouse for Tooting Graveney parish?
On Tooting Graveney Common, at the junction of Elmbourne Road and Dr Johnson Avenue.
- What was the name of the old Roman Road through Tooting, now the A24?
- Which Roman town was at the Southern end of the Roman Road?
Chichester. Noviomagus Reginorum.
- Which city was Sidney Lewis sent to train as a machine gunner when he signed up for the British Army?
- What was invented at a rock and roll concert at the Castle Pub, Tooting in 1970?
The (Status) Quo Stance.
The Castle, Tooting, 1970
RP: This was a heads’ gig: trenchcoat, pint, album under your arm, sitting on the floor. It was the first time we’d played to an audience that was sitting down, and we were thinking, Blimey, this is weird. The stage was only three inches high, but I remember the audience being down there. You had to get down to the audience – so this is how the legs apart, head down thing happened. And they were all nodding their heads, so we thought, Do the same, copy the audience – you can’t go wrong.We only looked up between numbers. And the Quo stance was born.
- A statue of which king stands outside Tooting Broadway tube station?
Edward VII. Erected 1911. Grade 2 listed 1983.
- When was the Tooting Parish Church of St. Nicolas rebuilt?
- When the Tooting Granada opened in 1931, how many people could it seat?
- Which two world-class snooker players played at Zans Snooker Hall in the 1980’s?
Jimmy White and Tony Meo
“His first girlfriend, Maureen, became his much put-upon wife. Along the way she taught him to read and write, for as Jimmy reasonably remarks of Ernest Bevin Comprehensive, Tooting: “They couldn’t teach me if I wasn’t there.” He chronicles some of their epic dust-ups, usually consequent to his habit of popping out for a packet of cigarettes and returning days later. ”
- Which actor played Wolfie Smith in Citizen Smith?
- Which music hall artist is commemorated in a blue plaque on Longley Road?
- Where was St. George’s Hospital located before it moved to Tooting?
Hyde Park Corner.
- What is the name of the running grounds which were located just off Garratt Lane and commemorated with a green plaque this year?